Superb Antique and Vintage rings from Victorian times through to the 1980s. Gold and silver both plain and set with genuine gemstones including citrines, sapphires, rubies, garnets and of course beautiful diamonds. Rings for all occasions: for romance , to impress, to collect and for everyday.
How to work out your own ring size
Don’t know what size ring you need? As with most other things, rings are measured differently depending which country you live in. I provide UK and USA sized in all my ring descriptions. There is a different sizing system used in Europe. You can but ring sizing gauges but if you don’t have one handy you can estimate your ring size. Take a piece of string and wrap it around the widest part of your finger (possibly the knuckle joint?) – you can now measure the string in millimetres and use the chart below.
Should I choose a 9 or 18 carat gold ring?
When you're buying a ring have you ever wondered about the different carats of gold and which to choose? There is quite a prices difference between the two with a nine carat gold ring being exactly half the price of an 18 carat gold ring of the same weight and design
What is 9 and 18 carat gold? These are different qualities of gold. They are pure 100% gold ( knows as 24 carat) which has been mixed with other metals. Pure gold is not suitable for jewellery as it is too soft and would wear away too quickly and so it is mixed up with the likes of copper and silver to give a metal that we can wear. The % of other metals mixed in gives us the carat. For example 9 carat gold is 37.5% pure gold and 18 carat has twice as much pure gold in the mix.
Is 9 or 18 carat gold better for a ring? Now this is an interesting question as "better" depends on the purpose you want the ring for. 18 carat is often considered better as it has more pure gold in it . Earlier I mentioned that pure gold is quite soft. As 18 carat gold has twice the amount of this in as nine carat it is a softer metal which means that for some people a nine carat gold is " better". Remember the carat of a ring does not influence its gold colour as much as the other metals mixed in .
3 reasons to choose a 9 carat gold ring over an 18 carat gold one.
- Cost , all other things being equal a nine carat ring is much cheaper
- Durability, As it is made of a harder metal a nine carat ring will wear better. If you are intending to wear your ring on a daily basis for many years to come then a nine carat gold ring will fair much better than and eighteen carat one.
- You are already wearing nine carat rings one the same finger or adjacent fingers. Its important not to mix the different carats. An eighteen carat ring will wear away when on the same finger as a nine carat one or if they are next to each other on different fingers.
3 reasons to choose an 18 carat ring over a 9 carat one:
- 18 carat is seen as more luxurious and your ring is not for everyday wear
- Budget is not an issue , maybe a once in a lifetime purchase like and engagement ring
- Your skin is extra sensitive to other metals, a very few people can't tolerate even the smallest amount of copper in the gold mix and they may be better off with higher carat golds.
If your looking to buy an antique or vintage ring then there is a great selection on my website, take a look and you might just find one of them irresistible.